Blogger Template by Blogcrowds .

So we're watching the game last night and one of my buddies says, "Hey, do any of you remember the last time we actually enjoyed watching a Giants game?"

Seemed like a weird question since Lawrence Tynes had just kicked the winning field goal with no time on the clock, and everyone was in a pretty good mood.

"No seriously. The Giants make us suffer every time we watch them play."

Ahhh, ok I see what he's saying now.

It's like something I wrote about watching Sox-Yanks games:

Yank-Sux games used to be fun for me. They aren't anymore. And honestly, whether it's a win or loss is immaterial. Because the road to either outcome is just paved with overwhelming anxiety and an impending sense of doom.

It's kinda like how I feel about New Year's Eve. I know I'm SUPPOSED to be fired up about it, but for my money, I'd just as soon take that temporary poison Juliet takes that would put me in a coma until it was all over.

The Giants made us crazy for 4 hours. Again. I sort of felt bad for everyone at the new Jerry Stadium in Dallas. I know how they feel. Opening Day, when my sisters and Byron were at the Yankee game in the first game at GNH, every Yankee fan was so, so excited about the new digs. And everyone who WASN’T a Yankee fan was enthusiastically rooting for the Indians. Which baffled me:

WHY would you go out of your way to ruin something like that for baseball history? Say what you will about the Yanks, but there's no denying that their franchise has played a big role in history, including their stadium. And even though I'm still long from warming up to the new digs, I can respect the impact of the day the Yanks moved away from The House That Ruth Built. I'm not saying it should be a national holiday. But even haters had to acknowledge the significance of the last game played there last year. (Most didn't, but enough did.)

What do you get from taking that from us? It's more than wishing for a loss, it's just--for lack of a better word--mean. And as my mom says, "Our first responsibility is to be a good person."


So I empathize with Dallas fans in that respect. They made history with the attendance in that place. And 105,121 of them.

But that’s where the sympathy ends. You watch a game like that and it’s hard to forget why the Gmen and Boys aren’t thick as thieves.

So here’s what I got:

  • Considering the Giants are egregiously “sans receiver,” they did pretty good. Actually, I was stunned by how little they ran the ball. And suitably impressed with Manning/Manningham. Total passing yards: 330. Total rushing: 97. Fantastic work, O-line. And brilliant, Coughlin.

  • This aggressive pushing down the field worked around Dallas’ rush defense, which limited Jacobs to 58 yards and Bradshaw to 37.

  • Romo threw 2 INTs. Wow. That’s awkward. 13 of 29 for 127 yards. Sweet Christ. By the way, the Giants D-line had 2 injured secondaries missing. And that’s what Romo came up with.


  • I really didn’t think Tynes was gonna make that 2nd kick. Sweet move by Wade Phillips. I see where your head’s at. Unfortunately for you, I’m pretty sure Coughlin has effectively instilled the fear of God into Tynes. And he’s not too bad at this late pressure kicks. I’m trying to figure out at what point Phillips thought the field goal WASN’T good, because when you watch the replays of the sideline reaction, his initial expression is triumph and then wild defeat.

  • Speaking of catching things on camera, Jerry might want to be a more mindful of his spotlight in the public eye. I mean, I don’t even like eating in front of people, but Jerry Jones apparently doesn’t entertain this level of self-consciousness, as demonstrated in the 5 second shot of him digging in his nostrils for what I can only assume is a complete pass. He came up empty, and looked pretty foolish. Just like the rest of his team. In the words of Josh, “The world’s first billion dollar booger!”

  • 30 points is a lot for the all-powerful D-line. How many people took the under on that game? I know the Boys’ O was slated to be dominant, but I really thought our game would be won on defense. I still am trying to wrap my head around the fact that Eli was hitting Manningham and Smith like his throws were on rails. If the win against the Skins fostered our assurance in their D, then this one did the same for our QB and WR’s synchronicity.

Great game. Next week they’re in TB then KC, then back at home for Oakland. But let it be known that the Gmen are the team to beat in the NFC East now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home