Blogger Template by Blogcrowds .




This is the first time the Yankees have lost this many games in a row since a seven-game skid April 20-27, 2007.

I guess I should be grateful I only had to listen to this madness on WCBS instead of actually witnessing it like last night.

It's past 11 and my sister and I are both still at the office, grumbling about the standard work complaints, debating what to order for dinner, alternating visits to each other's companies' respective floors, and--of course--throwing in the requisite Yankee Tourette's-like outbursts:

Yeah, fortunately the promise of food has temporarily mollified the acute disgust I'm feeling with the boys right now.

At first it sounded like AJ was being the AJ of the good persuasion, despite the constant barrage of Sterling comments that drifted around the "waiting for the other shoe to drop" school of thought.

(What's with Sterling? I mean, I like him because lunatics need to stick together and all, but for the past few years, it's like he's been a bit of a Debbie Downer about the Yanks. And the only person who's allowed to be cynical about the Yanks is David Cone, because he was the only one I know who could do it with a tempered air of honesty.)

But of course, Sterling is doing a little "I told you so" jig when inevitably AJ implodes in the 6th, destroying the cushy, if not modest, 4-run lead the Yanks had built for him.

3 dings later, and the Rays have made a thrilling rally (a thrally?) and 3 innings later, the Yanks are walking off the field with the sounds of "New York, New York" ringing in their ears, and not the good kind. They shouldn't play that song at the end of a loss, really. They should play a song that falls into one of the following categories:

  1. Completely non sequitor and irrelevant. E.g.: "If you wanna be happy for the rest of your life," Anything by the Violent Femmes, "Africa"
  2. Promising and hopeful. E.g. "I'm gonna live forever," "I'll be back" (Beatles), "F--- you"
  3. Just laughably sad. Eg, "All by myself," "Unbreak my heart," "You've lost that Loving feeling"

Soo...something to think about, Yankee brass. You know, when you're not mired in divisive infighting amongst the most critical members of your roster, and all.

(That last paragraph was just painfully reminiscent of every. single. time. someone says, "If you're bored and looking for something to do..." Just like I can't remember the last time I wasn't at least a little bit tired, I can't remember the last time I was like "BLAHHHH I'm so lacking for an activity right now!")

But even more painful is the following 2 lines, which are pretty much a microcosm of where the Yankees are right now:

Alex Rodriguez was the DH, Posada's spot for most of the season. A-Rod was hitless in four at-bats, including three strikeouts, and is hitting .242. Posada pulled himself out of the lineup over the weekend, saying he needed a day off, and a public spat ensued between the slumping slugger and club management.


You know what this is like? When I get home from work, and I don't know what I need to do first, because everything seems to be the top priority. Hang up my jacket? Plug my phone is? Feed the cat? The hamster? Turn the tv on to see what, if anything, is left of the game?

Everything seems to demand immediacy and supremacy. Similarly, what the hell do the Yanks address first? Which fantastically paid all-star who's batting below .250 gets first dibs at offensive boot camp? Or do they bypass that whole nightmare and go straight for the ridiculous high school dramatics?

(For what it's worth, I love the fact Jeter publicly took Posada's side, even though it probably had something to do with his own issues with the management to some degree. I mean, I like to think that when it comes down to it, professionally speaking, I can separate my own biases from what I think is right.

So even if the Powers That Be over in the Bronx have made it clear that Jeter's on thin ice as it is, I love the fact that Jeter basically said, "Be that as it may, I don't think Posada did anything wrong."

Also for the record, I think Posada should take a page from the Godfather's book: Never let anyone know what you're thinking. Emotional men weird me out.)

To add insult to injury, the Sux rallied from behind to beat the O's, and the Yanks are in such a bad spot right now that even me, the Poster Child for Psychotic Optimism, is aghast at their skid. To be clear, I'm not even remotely nearing the point of "the season is done for."

Because I'm not angry on account of a fear for the season. I'm angry because the whole behavior is ridiculous and kind of beneath them.

You're the YANKEES. You're terrifying, and a force with which to be reckoned. You're the emblem of success for the Great American Pasttime. And you're acting like the West Canaan Coyotes the day after they go drinking til 7am in the stripper joint.

But at least they were subscribing to some kind of a team unity.

Maybe the Yanks need a field trip to Scores? Maybe it wouldn't work wonders on their public image, but it may help their morale. Bigger picture.

Or maybe I'm just overreacting like the rest of the world. Maybe we should all listen to Rafael Soriano's words and take 'em to heart:

"That happens sometimes. [One day] everything will better."

Let's just hope "one day" means tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home