Blogger Template by Blogcrowds .


Today's Yankee team is the one that's going to win the World Series this year. It wasn't a big win. It was against Kansas City (sorry), and even more trivializing--it was against Sidney Ponson, who is about one injury and 3 starts away from being the next Carl Pavano in terms of joke pitchers. Though, to be fair, it wasn't a horrible outing.

IP H R ER BB SO HR ERA

SP 6 6 4 4 3 5 0 6.00

More remarkable is the fact Kyle Farnsworth struck out the side. Which may be the first time that sentence doesn't mean he actually physically assaulted 3 batters. Whenever Melky or Damon would come within inches of nabbing a high fly ball off one of Farnsworth's "ok-we-got-it-you-throw-heat-please-stop-throwing-it-down-the-middle-though" 100mph fastballs, we'd joke, "Damn, Melky almost robbed Farnsworth of another late inning ding."

But, more notably in the game: Robinson Cano. And I'm not half as impressed with his hits as I am with his actual at-bats. This is a guy who took the batter's box like he's paying his mortgage with monopoly money. He gets that it's not a batting cage, yeah? That he doesn't HAVE to swing at everything and he's not playing pepper with his summer softball league?

But the Cano that I saw on GameDay (one of these days I'll actually see a live Yankee at-bat) was sitting on pitches and bloating the count. Nick Swisher's been hitting it good spots. And Teixiera is demonstrating that he's not A-Rod, in the sense that the stigma of his unruly paycheck and high expectations isn't going to amplify the scrutiny he's clearly under. If A-Rod had gone 0 for 8 in the first 2 days, his shrink would have to clear out his calendar for about 2 weeks. "

"I'm gonna go see Dr. Finklestein and I'm gonna tell him we have a whole new bag of issues. We can forget about mom for a while."

I don't know why I'm getting so stoked about a 4-1 win against KC when Sidney Ponson struck out 5 of our batters. But they're hitting. And running. And it's a win.

And maybe this weekend I'll actually get to witness one of those wins. And by witness I mean watch on non-HD tv in the comfort of my living room with Michael Kay narrating the play by play like he's Bill Cosby on Picture Pages.

In other news, I don't like how New York City bars are called "lounges" when they're fancy. Because it's a misnomer and the type of attire dominating those scenes is basically the polar opposite of what I wear when I'm, in fact, lounging. They should such places "dressing rooms."

And for the hell of it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home